Capstone Course and Project
Entrepreneurial skills are highly valuable throughout your career. The Capstone Course for the MMB program will help you develop these skills through concepts of entrepreneurship, intrapreneurship, strategy, and innovation, as well as vital skills that are necessary for the business world. This course serves as a culminating experience that calls on students to use the knowledge, skills, and abilities they developed throughout the program.
- Introduce concepts and skill development in:
- Idea generation
- Technology evaluation
- Regulatory affairs
- Intellectual property
- Business strategies and models
- Identifying unmet needs
- Evidence-based entrepreneurship
- Refine the development of key professional skills valued by the bioscience industry
- Reinforce understanding of science concepts and techniques
- Provide students with an opportunity to display their knowledge, skills, and abilities developed throughout the MMB program
Course presentations, discussions, and assignments are designed to familiarize students with the many dimensions of entrepreneurship and new venture initiation. Centered on discussion rather than lectures, the course includes problem-solving exercises, case studies, individual and group activities, and guest presentations.
Student-teams complete a semester-long capstone project to refine skills in the identification of new ventures and turning ideas into reality. Briefly, students create a proposal for the formation of a company that fulfills an unmet need. They then develop a comprehensive, customer-validated business model and creates an investor pitch for both the solution and the company that will provide the solution. Each team is paired with a mentor who provides guidance throughout the process.
- Identify, evaluate, or develop:
- Industry and market trends to exploit opportunities
- Sources that support financial sustainability
- Value propositions, business ideas, and/or models relevant to the bioscience industry
- Recognize the interaction between different business areas (e.g., ideation, financing, accounting, management, and marketing)
- Learn and apply evidence-based entrepreneurship strategies
- Design and develop a comprehensive business plan for a new enterprise
- Persuasively communicate the value of a product, service, or technology and a company’s financial feasibility
- Refine critical thinking, data analysis, decision-making and other professional skills highly valued by the bioscience industry
- Show integrity, courtesy, reliability, and respect for others through teamwork
Past Capstone Projects
Pro-Bone-Os: A Daily Delight To Keep Your Dog Right!
Karly Dugan, Madison Frye, April Nettesheim and Alex Rojas
Algae Hive – See What All The Buzz Is About!
Jordan Bischoff, Olivia Helvey, Lara Queck, Cat Sweeney and Maggie Thraen
Periodont: In The Pursuit Of Purrfect Teeth
Allison Eble, Hannah Kennel, Jamal Koledoye and Michelle Sanchez
YEATS: Yeast Driven. Human Focused.
Shannon Harris, Mitch Killar, Anarita Lynch, Caleb Ocampo and Emily Vernon.
TickTrack: Empowering the World to Get Back Out There
Hank Beggs, Grace Carrell, Monica Driscoll, Jennifer Massengill and Leslie Shannon
TakeRoot: An Online Tool to Enable Consumers to Make Informed, Personalized Decisions About Their Microbiome Health
Alex Burd, Drew Dispennette, Travis Kernodle and Kristine Newman
Aster Therapeutics, Asternib: Get the Life You Love Back!
Rivers Baker, Mark Buckles, Anne-Claire Den Hartog, Carly Elkins and Ryan Larsen
Udderly Clean: The Natural Solution to Mastitis
Chris Carlin, Sarah Grigg, Briggs Hagler, Jacob Hyman and Megan Mackowiak
TRACne: Find the Face of Tomorrow
Andrew Harmon, Caty Metcalf, Abigail Nails, Esteban Niaves Nava and Jake Trimble
OTC In-Home Dx: Gonorrhea Screening Test
Hannah Seddon, Katie Sandlin, Ryan Overcash and Vincent Green
XHemplify: Multifunctional Tool for Increasing Yield and Quality of CBD
Brooke Peery Garner, Hannah Webb, David Majeski and Swetha Srinivasan
SEEDS: STEM Enriching Experiments for Developing Students
James Rebenski, Mackenzie Nelson, Melody Paye, Sterling Riggs and Zach Jernigan
NC Brew Labs: Improving Beer, Helping Brewers
Molly Harris, Shweta Murthy, Ryan Randall, Lavanya Rao and Priyanka Vala
Transforming the Plant Transformation Lab
Sai brahma prakash Penugonda, Emily Potisek, Danny Schmitt and Saurabh Vishhwanath
FarmFridge: Grow. Taste. Live Well.
Paul Gibson, Jacob Vasser, Gowri Vridhambal and Richard Young