Ready, Set, Future
We are excited that you want to earn a Master of Microbial Biotechnology from NC State University!
Before you begin the application process, be sure to review the application requirements and note the following admission requirements for the MMB program at NC State:
- All applicants must apply through The Graduate School
- The MMB program offers fall admission only
- Application Deadlines:
- May 1 for domestic students
- March 1 for international applicants
- All incoming MMB students must have completed an undergraduate microbiology and biochemistry course and earned a B- or above. If you did not receive a “B-” or above, you may be required to retake the courses prior to beginning the program. Prospective students who did not take both will be required to complete both courses prior to the start of the program. Applicants may apply to the program before completing any of the prerequisites, but must finish and receive a grade of “B-” or higher before beginning the program.
- Students must have a GPA of 3.0 or greater. If your GPA is below a 3.0, you may be required to take one to three additional graduate-level courses before being considered for admission.
- Official GRE scores are NOT a required part of the application.
The following items are required as part of your application:
Official transcripts from a four-year bachelor’s program.
International applicants with a three-year degree must have their degree credentialed through an agency such as World Education Service or National Association of Credential Evaluation Services.
Official GRE scores are NOT REQUIRED.
Although GRE scores are not required, applicants may opt to send them with the application. The Institutional Code for NC State University is 5496. A departmental code is not required.
Average GRE scores of students accepted into the MMB program:
|GRE Test Section||General Test Scores|
|Verbal Reasoning||156 (146)|
|Quantitative Reasoning||153 (147)|
|Analytical Writing||> 4.0 (3.0)|
Official TOEFL or IELTS scores (International Students only).
International Students only. The test date must be no more than two years old (24 months) prior to the beginning of the requested entry term.
Note: These test scores are not required if you are a citizen of a country where English is the official language and the language of instruction in higher education, or have successfully completed at least one year of full-time study in a degree program at a four-year U.S. college or university.
Three (3) letters of recommendation from professional references.
Personal references will not be accepted.
In 2-3 pages, demonstrate your understanding of the scope of the MMB program and clearly convey your background. What led you to choose the MMB program? What are your post-graduation goals? How the program will help you accomplish your professional goals? You may discuss prior and current research experiences, but note that the Master of Microbial Biotechnology is not a research-oriented degree.
Three-Year Bachelor’s Degree
- The Graduate School only accepts three-year bachelor’s degrees from institutions within the Bologna Process. If the institution is not part of this organization, the applicant is required to provide the Graduate School with an evaluation of the transcript for the three-year degree by an international credential evaluation company.
- We accept international credential evaluations from members of NACES (National Association of Credential Evaluation Services). AICE (Association of International Credential Evaluators), or AACRAO (American Association of Collegiate Registrars and Admissions Officers). Others may be acceptable as well, but please check with the Graduate School if a question as to the appropriateness of the evaluation arises.
- The requirement for an evaluation will be waived if the individual earned a master’s degree or higher from an accredited institution.