Why Our Program?
Driven to Lead
Students in our two-year, interdisciplinary program can take courses from the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences (CALS), the Biotechnology Program (BIT), the Biomanufacturing program at the Biomanufacturing Training and Education Center (BTEC) and the Poole College of Management. NC State faculty and industry professionals converge to prepare our students with the knowledge, skills and experience they need to launch successful careers in the biosciences.
Why Choose MMB at NC State?
Our two-year, non-thesis program is different than a traditional graduate program in several ways:
- Close to Research Triangle Park (RTP) – We are in proximity one of the largest hubs for biotechnology and research
- Real-world application – Through industry projects and internships, you will develop multidisciplinary skills that align with industry demands and are directly applicable in your career.
- Diverse courses – Our curriculum includes courses in a variety of areas of biosciences and business (including MBA-level coursework) from different colleges and departments at NC State to help you reach your career potential and academic goals.
- Personalized approach – With only about 15 students admitted each year, we are able to tailor the MMB program to meet each student’s goals.
- Dive deeper – We offer three graduate certificates so you can explore topics of interest in more depth.
- Dual-degree option – Earn an MBA through the Poole College of Management with an additional year of study.
- MMB Graduates earn more – Students with an MMB degree earn more than those with a B.S. Compare the Return on Investment for yourself.
Return on Investment
Career flexibility. Upward mobility. High job satisfaction. These are some of the advantages of pursuing an MMB degree at NC State. Another major advantage is salary: Students with an MMB degree earn a higher starting salary than those with a B.S.
- B.S. Degree: ~$44,000 (payscale.com)
- MMB Degree: $69,000 (1-3 years), $90,000 (4+ years) (salary survey, 2017)
- Median annual salary for biotechnology professionals: $95,000 (U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, 2019)
- National growth in graduate-level biotechnology jobs is expected to reach 14% by 2022 (U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics)
It takes MMB graduates an average of 13.1 months to pay back the cost of attendance.
|Cost and Length of Time||NC Resident||Non-Resident|
|Average Starting MMB Salary||$69,000||$69,000|
|Average Starting MMB/MBA Salary||$83,000||$83,000|
|Average pre-MMB Salary||$44,000||$44,000|
|Five-year Net ROI (MMB Degree)||$101,654||$67,002|
|Five -year Net (ROI MMB/MBA Degree)||$145,857||$93,394|
|MMB Cost of Tuition, Fees||$23,345||$57,997|
|MMB/MBA Cost of Tuition, Fees||$49,142||$101,605|
|Payback Period (MMB Degree)||11.2 months||27.8 months|
|Payback Period (MMB/MBA Degree)||15.1 months||31.2 months|
5-year net ROI = (Salary Increase x 5) – Cost of Tuition, Fees
Payback Period (months) = (Cost of Tuition, Fees) / (Salary Increase) x 12
Salary Increase = (Avg. MMB or MMB/MBA Starting Salary) – (Avg. Pre-MMB salary)
*Calculations do not take into account student loan interest or salary increases that result from promotion or other income.
Interviewers have been impressed with the way the MMB program prepares students for entering the industry.
MMB Graduate, 2018